[flocking-users] combining with processingjs? and timing accuracy

Colin Clark colin at colinclark.org
Wed Apr 9 19:55:29 EDT 2014

Hi Enrike,

I haven’t heard of anyone yet who is using Processing.js with Flocking, but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. Web Audio in general has some risks with very sophisticated visuals because of the fact that the audio processing runs in the same thread as the visuals, but I think there’s lots of room to work with them both.

In terms of the reliability of timing in Flocking, it depends on how you schedule things. At the moment, the asynchronous scheduler is a little bit “drifty,” especially in Firefox. I’m in the midst of planning out a block-accurate scheduler that will have no drift, and I can fast-track that work if it’s a priority for you. In the meantime, I do most of my high priority scheduling within the unit generator graph, by using unit generators like flock.ugen.sequence as well as triggers like flock.ugen.impulse. It’s solid and simple. Here’s an example of a piece I wrote recently that has a very accurate drum pulse in it.

https://github.com/colinbdclark/compositions/blob/master/greenwich-park/js/instruments.js#L4-L60

Colin