[flocking-users] using flocking

Colin Clark colin at colinclark.org
Wed Jan 22 19:04:26 EST 2014

Hi Laurens,

Thanks! I hope you find Flocking useful for your project. I can walk you through the process of getting started.

You don’t need to have SSH enabled on your hosting service to use Flocking. You can either just download a zip file containing all the Flocking code from Github, or install git on your development computer and clone the repository to start working with it.

To download Flocking as a zip file, just go to the main Flocking page on Github and click the “Download ZIP” button along the right-hand side of the page:

https://github.com/colinbdclark/Flocking

If you want to use Git to get the source code, you can either use Github’s native app or install Git from the terminal. Github has pretty good instructions for this:

https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git

Once you’ve got the Flocking source code on your computer, just need to link to it in your HTML page using some script tags. The README describes what you need. Feel free to have a look at the source of some of the demo pages for how I’ve done that. My compositions repository has some examples as well. This one shows how you can setup a page with Flocking:

https://github.com/colinbdclark/compositions/blob/master/alex-kimmirut/kimmirut.html

Once you’ve got a working web page that uses Flocking, you can upload it to your hosting provider using whatever means you usually use. In the end, Flocking is really just a collection of JavaScript files that you can upload to and host from your server in the typical way.

Let me know if there are any other questions I can help with,

Colin