[flocking] Questions

Steven Dale lifeinchords at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 22:10:32 EDT 2015

Hi there

We've got the lib integrated into our project:
https://github.com/parallelsio/core-modules/tree/flocking-audio... exciting
stuff. Some questions:

- When sound is triggered/played in our app, afterwords there's an endless
repeating click/pop sound. Both Chrome + Firefox. Listen here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4zhzWwgaF63Z3h4WDN2VldzbE0/view?usp=sharing

Is there a stop audio function? Do we need to run it every time we're done
playing something to stop audio output, then re-init it right before the
next trigger of sound? Or is this audio connection supposed to stay on
throughout the life of the person's experience in a given session?

- We're triggering sounds on drag and dropping divs. They spawn web workers
seen in the  console, one for each sound.. I racked up 20-30 in seconds..
and they persist. Is this normal + expected? Feels like at some point the
browser is gonna choke

- Does the lib play mp3 files? I saw a reference to a WAV file in the
examples - is there a preferred file format to use to trigger samples?
uncompressed feels quite large for transferring back n forth over the wire

- From here:
https://github.com/colinbdclark/Flocking/blob/master/docs/responding-to-user-input.md:
Can we bind the events to a class that returns a set of DIV's, rather than
a single DIV, tied with an ID? Is it a linear thing, where if we bind to 5
divs say, it will be 5x more drain on browser resources bc 5 voices are
playing at once?

- Is there a way to apply a reverb effect onto the end of the signal chain?
I saw something about several channel audio, and the delay definition. Is
this possible with the lib and needs to be modeled? or is just not possible
with this kind of synthesis? I'm new to doing this stuff with code.

- Any ETA on the docs for flock.synth?
https://github.com/colinbdclark/Flocking/blob/master/docs/synths/overview.md

- Any existing docs on how I might take some sound synthesis examples from
classic textbooks, papers, etc, and apply them to create synth definitions
[in Flocking]?  For example, we want to synthesize/model the elastic,
stretchy sound of a slingshot, think Angry birds SFX-- is this possible
with Flocking?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..
=: s

         Steven Dale   @lifeinchords <https://twitter.com/lifeinchords>