[flocking-users] extreme case of unexplicable unknown.

Colin Clark colin at colinclark.org
Mon Jan 5 14:41:36 EST 2015

Hi Derek,

Thanks for all the background information! It sounds like a great project you're working on. Are you working with Clayton Lewis on this?

I've been working with the PhET team for the past few years to help make their sims more accessible, too. The Fluid Project community has recently been doing some work on their Forces and Motion simulation to make it work better without the mouse and with a screenreader. We'll also be sonifying some of the sims. We should collaborate on this! You might find some of Fluid's design resources helpful:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/PhET+Forces+and+Motion+Simulation+Design

In terms of the issues you raised in your email, there are a few bugs in your code that are preventing it from working. First, you seem to have commented out all the code that involves creating a synth and playing it. Secondly, it looks like you aren't preventing the default action of your form submit button, so the page is reloading every time a user clicks the button. As a result, no sound ever comes out because the page reloads before the sound can start playing.,

Here's some background information that may be helpful:

Flocking has the concept of an "environment," which is an object that represents the overall audio system. It manages all the synths you create and, when playing, will output samples to your speakers. Typically, you don't need to create an environment yourself; there is a singleton environment available by default at the flock.enviro.shared global property. But the issue you're encountering is that it has to get instantiated first before it is available for you to use. There are two ways to initialize Flocking:

1. Explicitly call flock.init()
2. Instantiate a new flock.synth object, and it will be automatically created for you

If you notice in the sample code you copied from (https://github.com/colinbdclark/Flocking/blob/master/docs/getting-started.md <https://github.com/colinbdclark/Flocking/blob/master/docs/getting-started.md>), it first instantiates a synth, then calls play() afterwards. In your code, you don't explicitly call flock.init(), and you've commented out the code that creates the synth, but not the call to the environment. That's why it's throwing the error.

Anyway, it's probably best if you call flock.init() explicitly. I just updated Flocking so that a call to flock.init() will return the shared environment, so you can hold on to it in a variable to make things a little shorter. Make sure you update to the latest code.

Once you've initialized Flocking, you create flock.synth objects that represent the particular signal processing algorithm you want. By default, a new synth automatically gets added to the environment, and when you call the play() method on the environment, it will start producing sound. You just initialize Flocking, create your synths, and then call flock.enviro.shared.play(). Easy. Here's a super simple example:

// Initialize Flocking.
var enviro = flock.init();

// Make a new synth.
var mySynth = flock.synth({
    synthDef: {
        ugen: "flock.ugen.sinOsc"
    }
});

// Tell the environment to start playing.
enviro.play();

I've also updated the documentation so that all this is a little bit more clear. Apologies for the confusion.

In case it's useful, I've taken your example and fixed the issues described above, as well as factoring it a little bit more cleanly so that it's easier to see what's going on. I've introduced a new object called "waveSym.app" that represents your "application"--the combination of your synth and logic to update it based on values in the UI. Hopefully this example gets you started:

https://gist.github.com/colinbdclark/43e603eae2e5dac31371 <https://gist.github.com/colinbdclark/43e603eae2e5dac31371>

In the long run, you might find using Fluid Infusion (https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion <https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion>) helpful for making more complex user interfaces like this.

I hope this helps,

Colin