[flocking] moog VCF filter.

derek riemer Derek.Riemer at Colorado.EDU
Mon Jun 1 09:43:19 EDT 2015

Hi,
What does the MOOG VCF example do? I am curious, because by changing the
example a bit as seen in this simple piece of code yields a pleasing
kind of song that seems to even keep time. I am not really sure why this
actually sounds good, because by changing some of the hardcoded
constants it can make terrible sounds, or sometimes will play for a
minute, and then start making terrible sounds.
Thanks,
Derek

// A 24db low pass moog-style filter.
             var synth = flock.synth({
                 synthDef: {
                     ugen: "flock.ugen.filter.moog",
                     cutoff: {
                         ugen: "flock.ugen.lfSaw",
                         freq:2,
                         //The magic constants. If I do some other
values but this I get a terrible wooshing sound.
                         mul: 5000,
                         add: 7000,
                     },
                     resonance: {
                         ugen: "flock.ugen.sin",
                         freq:1/2,
                         width:.25,
                         mul: 2.5,
                         add: 2.5
                     },
                     source: {
                         ugen:"flock.ugen.saw",
                         freq: {
                             ugen: "flock.ugen.sequence",
                             freq: 2,
                             loop: 1,
                             list: [220, 220 * 5/4, 220, 220 * 3/2, 220
* 4/3, 220*3/2, 220*2, 220*4/3, 220*5/4, 220*3/4, 220, 220*7/8, 256],
                                 interpolation: "linear"
                             }
                         }
                     },
                     mul: 0.5
                 }
             });

--

    Derek Riemer

Department of Computer science Undergrad, proud CILA member, music
lover, and much more.

"Selfishness is the black hole of the human soul: Give no light of your
own, and eventually you are only darkness. Find where you shine & do."
Doug Lee, @doug_lee42 on twitter.

email me at derek.riemer at colorado.edu <mailto:derek.riemer at colorado.edu>
Phone: (303) 906-2194