[flocking] Questions

Steven Dale lifeinchords at gmail.com
Fri May 1 17:55:34 EDT 2015

Colin!

Thank you for super detailed response. Very helpful - we have a great
amount of info to move forward.

- I'm quite sure the worker thing isn't a bug, as I was calling init on
every SFX play. Gonna update our instance and have another go

- The popping noise happens on first call, but I noticed it happens on the
examples page too, so I think it's just a property of the Impulse sound
demo, that it continues after the ramp? That was a stupid mistake on my
part..

- The info regarding events, reverb and leads for books are great - I'll
get in contact after I dig in some more and have a chance to explore.

Also will send over a link to our sandbox instance as soon as we get
something in there.. Talk soon

=: s

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Colin Clark <colin at colinclark.org> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> Thanks for all your great questions. Just some background information
> before I answer your specific questions below:
>
> You should have one Flocking Environment per application. So only invoke
> flock.init() once, and retain an instance of the environment somewhere we
> you can access it if needed. Start it playing at the beginning, rather than
> every time you want to trigger a sound.
>
> You'll typically want one Synth instance per "voice" or thing that needs
> to trigger sound. You won't typically reinstantiate a synth every time you
> want to trigger a sound. Instead, create the synth up front, start it
> playing, and then open and close the gate on an envelope unit generator to
> trigger sounds in response to user actions. If you know you won't be using
> a synth for a while, you can call pause() on it to minimize resources, and
> then start it play()ing again later.

Re: context: That helps a lot. Does resource drain build up over time by
just being idle?
 - didn't realize it, and this sounds like the culprit - I was calling
init() on every SFX play. The strategy you mention makes sense, kinda like
turning down the volume knob I guess, the radio is still on, but still
serves the purpose of keeping sound out.