[flocking] Scheduling

Colin Clark colin at colinclark.org
Thu Dec 1 23:10:18 UTC 2016

Hi Jesse,

Sorry for the slow response. In terms of scheduling, I think the easiest approach is to use a tempo scheduler, and schedule actions using the low-level callback API:

var scheduler = flock.scheduler.async.tempo({
    bpm: 120
});

scheduler.repeat(4, function () {
   // Do something every four beats.
});

scheduler.once(8, function () {
    // Do something eight beats from now.
});

This is a very low-level API, but it should allow you to build more musical abstractions on top of it. It is also not, in the current version, sample-accurate, so you will find some clock drift (especially on Firefox). You could, as an alternative, look at integrating the Bergson scheduler with Flocking, but that will be more work (something on my to do list for the next release).

https://github.com/colinbdclark/bergson <https://github.com/colinbdclark/bergson>

I hope this helps,

Colin