[Wecount] exploring Distributed AI

Jutta Treviranus jtreviranus at ocadu.ca
Mon May 18 14:25:27 UTC 2020

One of the things I noted when I began to explore AI again was that AI made manifest many of the topics we have explored in inclusive design in such a way that hard scientists could not dismiss inclusive design. One of the topics I’ve wanted to explore is Distributed Artificial Intelligence because it makes manifest the inclusion dimensions of the diversity and inclusion equilibrium. In Distributed Artificial Intelligence you need to construct the coordination, collaboration, competition or teamwork of multiple agents. You can work with small amounts of data. Design of a “social” system of sorts comes into play. DAI is also better able to handle non-linear, multi-variate learning spaces. Many of the DAI approaches are bottom up. One form, Agent Based Systems, is usually exploratory and descriptive rather than engineered and prescriptive. Approaches like Swarms self-organize and their robustness and self-repair functions happen because or in spite of the fact that they are decentralized and unsupervised.

There is even exploration of alternatives to majority rules decision making in this space.

The reason I want to explore these is not because of the potential applications but because of the way they can provide simulations of different forms of group organization and interaction that makes the points we have made manifest to hard scientists, engineers and others that do not trust the soft science of inclusive design.

I would love to hear your thoughts,

Jutta