[Wecount] exploring Distributed AI

Clayton H Lewis clayton.lewis at colorado.edu
Tue May 19 03:09:39 UTC 2020

thank you!!

On May 18, 2020, at 7:13 PM, Jutta Treviranus <jtreviranus at ocadu.ca<mailto:jtreviranus at ocadu.ca>> wrote:

I may have written this too quickly and see I wasn’t very clear what it makes manifest. Deep learning makes manifest the risks of exclusion, ignoring the edges and weak signals, prediction based on probability, using data from the past, etc. … all of which are counter to inclusive design.

Similarly I heard from several DAI researchers that principles of collaboration, diversification of agents, organic self-organization etc. are better at solving complex problems in DAI. These are some of the things we have been exploring with respect to human decision making and problem solving.

What triggered this line of thought was notes I wrote in the late 80’s when these articles came out:

Decker, K. S. (1987). “Distributed problem solving: A survey”. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 17 (5): 729–740.

Durfee, E. H., Lesser, V. R., Corkill, D. D. (1989). “Trends in Cooperative Distributed Problem Solving”. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 1 (1): 63–83.

I then started to explore where this had gone lately.

I found things like this:

Yeoh, W., Yokoo, M. (2012). “Distributed Problem Solving”. AI Magazine, 33 (3): 53–65

Mguni, D., Jennings, J., Munoz de Cote, E. (2018). “Decentralised Learning in Systems with Many, Many Strategic Agents”. arXiv:1803.05028v1.

Yang, Y., Luo, R., Li, M., Zhou, M., Zhang, W., Wang, J. (2018). “Mean Field Multi-Agent Reinforcement Learning”. arXiv:1802.05438<https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.05438>.

Waldrop, M. M. (2018). “Free Agents: Monumentally complex models are gaming out disaster scenarios with millions of simulated people”. Science, 360 (6385): 144–147.

Also this was interesting but not directly relevant:

Yang, X. S. (2009). “Firefly algorithms for multimodal optimization”. In: O. Watanabe, T. Zeugmann (Eds.), Stochastic Algorithms: Foundations and Applications, Vol. 5792 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin Heidelberg: 169–178.

I have a meeting with a group from UCLA who want to talk about applying inclusive design to DAI to address complex, edge problems.

Jutta